Los Angeles Chamber Music Workshop
June 18-23, 2017
The Chamber Music Workshop at Los Angeles Suzuki Institute 2017 provides a challenging and well-paced six-day chamber music experience. The workshop runs from Sunday June 18 through 3pm Friday June 23 at beautiful Pitzer College in Claremont.
Each CMW day may begin as early as 9:00am and ends as late as 6:00pm. Most evenings will have additional optional activities scheduled after dinner. CMW participants are encouraged to stay in the Teen Dorm in order to fully participate in the CMW experience. (Although dormitory stay is not a requirement.)
Students who participate in the Chamber Music Workshop will have 5 hours of classes per day, which may include the following:
- 1 hour master class (short, semi-private lesson, 3 students per class)
- 1 hour ensemble coaching (trio, quartet or quintet)
- 1 hour guided ensemble rehearsal session
- 1-2 hours chamber orchestra
- 1 hour enrichment class
- 1 hour attendance at Solo Honors Recitals (If you are interested in performing at a recital you can check back soon for directions for submitting your recording.)
- Daily Practice
- Optional: 1 hour attendance at evening concerts
- Performance in Chamber Finale Concert on Thursday & Orchestra Finale Concert on Friday
Evening activities such as ice cream party, movie night, capture the flag.
Past repertoire has included: Dvorak’s “American” Quartet, Mozart’s “Hunt” Quartet, Shostakovich’s Piano Trio in E minor, Beethoven’s Op. 18 No. 4 String Quartet, and Dohnanyi’s Piano Quintet in C minor.
The workshop is open to Suzuki and traditionally trained string students and pianists. Students must be between thirteen (as of June 11) and eighteen years old. (An exception may be made for an exceedingly mature student who is not yet thirteen - students under the age of 13 who are accepted must have a parent with them.)
Minimum performance levels for applicants are:
- Violin Sonata in F Major by Handel (Book 6)
- Viola Concerto in G Major by Telemann (Book 4)
- Cello Danse Rustique by Squire (Book 5)
- Piano Sonata in C Major K. 330 by Mozart (Book 6)
Enrollment is limited and acceptance into the program is not guaranteed. Students will be placed into ensembles based on their ability level, age, and instrument. Notification of acceptance will be sent out by April 15.
Chamber Music Workshop Applications:
- Application form, application fee and audition video are due by March 20
- You will be notified of audition decisions by April 15
- NOTE - DO NOT PAY TUITION, ACCOMMODATIONS OR MEALS UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN NOTIFIED OF ACCEPTANCE.
- Once you have been notified of acceptance, tuition and appropriate accommodations and meals are due by April 30. If payment is not received by April 30 your spot in CMW is forfeited.
- Music will be available beginning May 15.
Audition Video Guidelines:
Please upload your audition video using YouTube.
How to upload a video to YouTube: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/57407?hl=en
Please copy and paste your YouTube video link into the application form that pops up when you add "Chamber Music Workshop Application Fee" to your Shopping Cart. (Please note: this link will be available starting January 20.)
1. A 3-Octave Scale of your choice.
2. One or two selections that would demonstrate fast, technical playing as well as slow, lyrical playing.
*Piano accompaniment is recommended, but not required.
3. The application video is used for both admission to CMW and group placement, so please make sure it is representative of your best playing.
How to Submit Your Video
1. Include youtube link on your application form here.
2. Submit your video after you've submitted your application by emailing the youtube link to the Chamber Music Workshop Coordinator at email@example.com