Los Angeles Chamber Music Workshop
Application deadline is March 20.
You will receive notification by April 15 of acceptance.
If you have received notification that you are accepted for CMW, please pay tuition and register for Teen Dorm HERE. Payment must be received by April 30. (Link will only work after March 20.)
The Chamber Music Workshop at Los Angeles Suzuki Institute 2018 provides a challenging and well-paced six-day chamber music experience. The workshop runs from Sunday June 17 through 3pm Friday June 22 at beautiful Pitzer College in Claremont.
The workshop is open to Suzuki and traditionally trained string students and pianists. Students must be between thirteen (as of June 17) and eighteen years old.
Minimum performance levels for applicants are:
- Violin Sonata in F Major by Handel (Book 6)
- Viola Concerto in G Major by Telemann (Book 4)
- Cello Danse Rustique by Squire (Book 5)
- Piano Sonata in C Major K. 330 by Mozart (Book 6)
Enrollment is limited and acceptance into the program is not guaranteed. Students will be placed into ensembles based on their ability level, age, and instrument. Notification of acceptance will be sent out by April 15.
Past repertoire CMW groups have performed has included: Dvorak’s “American” Quartet, Mozart’s “Hunt” Quartet, Shostakovich’s Piano Trio in E minor, Beethoven’s Op. 18 No. 4 String Quartet, and Dohnanyi’s Piano Quintet in C minor.
1. A 3-Octave Scale of your choice.
2. One or two selections that would demonstrate fast, technical playing as well as slow, lyrical playing.
*Piano accompaniment is recommended, but not required.
3. The application video is used for both admission to CMW and group placement, so please make sure it is representative of your best playing.
4. Please make sure that the camera is placed far enough away that your whole body is in the shot. Landscape camera placement is encouraged.
5. Please only submit solo performances - no orchestra or chamber performance submissions.
Applying as a Preformed Ensemble?
Students may apply as a preformed chamber ensemble. The following requirements must be met:
- all members of the ensemble are 13 years or older (by June 17, 2018).
- all members of the ensemble meet the minimum performance levels for applicants (see requirements earlier on this page)
- Each ensemble member must submit an application with video of them playing solo repertoire
If the members of the preformed chamber ensemble do not all meet these requirements, it is recommended they apply for Chamber Music Workshop PREP.
Schedule for a Typical CMW Day
Students who participate in the Chamber Music Workshop will have 5 hours of classes per day, which may include the following:
- 1 hour master class (short, semi-private lesson, 3 students per class)
- 1 hour ensemble coaching (trio, quartet or quintet)
- 1 hour guided ensemble rehearsal session
- 1-2 hours chamber orchestra
- 1 hour enrichment class
- 1 hour attendance at Solo Honors Recitals (If you are interested in performing at a recital you can check back soon for directions for submitting your recording.)
- Daily Practice
- Optional: 1 hour attendance at evening concerts
- Performance in Chamber Finale Concert on Thursday & Orchestra Finale Concert on Friday
Evening activities such as ice cream party, movie night, capture the flag.
Need help uploading your video? Get step by step instructions here.
How to Submit Your Video
1. Include youtube link on your application form here (application form shows up when you click "Add to Cart")
2. Submit your video after you've submitted your application by emailing the youtube link to the Chamber Music Workshop Coordinator at email@example.com
Application, Application Fee and Audition video due by March 20
Notification of audition results by April 15.
Once you have been notified of acceptance, please return to this page to pay tuition. Please do NOT pay tuition until you have been notified of acceptance.
Please note - all CMW participants stay in the dorm and tuition includes room and board.
Payment of tuition due by April 30. If payment is not received by April 30, your spot in CMW is forfeited.
Music will be available beginning May 15.
Classes begin in the late morning on June 17.
Classes end by 2:30pm on June 22. Please note: Students are grouped into small chamber groups which perform at 1:00pm on June 22. As a result, no departures from campus are allowed before 3:00pm.
Chamber Music Workshop Fees
- February 15-28 $65
- March 1 - 20 $85
- Application closes March 20
Tuition & Teen Dorm
- CMW Tuition includes room and board from June 17-22: $1150
- All CMW participants stay in the Teen Dorm
- Once you have been notified of acceptance, tuition is due by April 30. If payment is not received by April 30 your spot in CMW is forfeited.
Student Honors Recitals
If you would like to perform on a student honors recital, find out more about it here: Students Honors Recitals
Please note that all CMW participants stay in the teen dorm - and tuition includes room and board.
CMW students stay in the teen dorm without a parent or guardian.
CMW provides 24 hour supervision for the Teen Dorm residents.