1. The program is designed with the understanding that parents will be involved, as they are at home, with lessons, practice, and the general supervision of their children. The program is designed as a family experience and it is best to have one adult for each young child enrolled. Children under the age of 12 MUST be accompanied by an adult at ALL times. No exceptions, this rule is for safety because Pitzer College is an open campus.
Parents attend lessons with their children, help them prepare for the next day’s classes and are expected to remain with their children during meals and leisure time, as well as during classes. Parents are responsible for the conduct of their children and the safety of their valuables while attending the Institute.
2. Enrollment is open to Suzuki violin, viola, cello, bass,* guitar and piano students of all levels who currently study with a teacher who uses the Suzuki method and materials.
3. Students should review the entire Suzuki repertoire up to his or her current playing level. Specific repertoire lists will be available on this website before the workshop.
4. At the first master class, students should be prepared to play a polished piece as a solo for the teacher. A technically and musically mature piece will help the teacher assess the student’s needs – pick an old piece that you know really well.
5. Each institute day may begin as early as 9:00am and ends as late as 6:00pm. Some evenings may have additional optional activities scheduled.